Since the birth of pizza in Naples, Italy, this iconic round treats-filled dough has taken the world by storm. From its humble beginnings served with cheese, tomato and bell pepper, cooked in those legendary multi-generational pizza stones, it has now evolved into so many forms ranging from Neapolitan, Sicilian, Margherita, Capricciosa, Pugliese, Quattro Stagioni, Pizzetta, All-Meat, Vegetarian, and Four Cheese among many other varieties.
Through breakthroughs in the cooking industry, pizza can now be enjoyed in the comforts of one’s home. People don’t have to be stuck with eating frozen pizzas and be deprived of the natural aroma of fresh bakes; or to call out for pizza delivery at an ungodly hour, at an unbelievably inflated cost, with a so-so quality just to fill in a craving.
But to be able to enjoy freshly baked homemade pizza, it is essential to have the right tools in your own kitchen. This includes a good, sturdy oven, which fits into your needs and specifications, and it’s good to ask yourself the following questions:
- Will the oven be placed indoors or outdoors?
- How many pizzas am I looking to bake in a month?
- Do I choose a specialty oven or a general one-size-fits-all?
- Would I like to bake thin crust or thick crust pizzas?
- Do I want a slow-cook or a fast-cook oven?
Here are some of the common options for pizza ovens:
- countertop oven
- gas oven
- outdoor oven
Apart from a good oven, you will also be needing a heavy-duty pizza stone to complete the whole picture.
The 5 Best Pizza Stones on the Market 2019
|Product Name||Cooking Surface|
|14.75 Inch Pizza Stone by Good Cook®|
|14.75 Inch||Check Price|
|15” Ceramic Pizza Stone by Chef’s Star®||15 Inch||Check Price|
|16” Oven Round Pizza Stone by Old Stone Oven®||16 Inch||Check Price|
|16” High Performance Baking Surface by NerdChef®||16 Inch||Check Price|
|15 Inch ¾” Thick Professional Grade Pizza Stone||15 Inch||Check Price|
- For Crispier, Better Baked Crusts
- For Fresh and Frozen Pizzas
- Also works well for baking bread, rolls, or biscuits
- Stone heats evenly so there are no hot spots
- Enjoy the taste and texture of brick-oven style baking from your traditional oven.
- Pizza stone distributes the heat evenly, creating crispy, Neapolitan-style crusts.
- Perfect for use with other baked good recipes.
- Serving and carrying made easy with the heavy-duty chrome rack.
- Set includes 15" pizza baking stone, pizza cutter, and chrome plated serving rack.
- Makes restaurant-quality pizza and bread with crunchy-chewy crust
- Ideal for baking 16" family-style pizza, bread, biscuits and more
- Absorbs oven's heat and transfers it evenly
- Withstands heat up to 2000℉ in the oven or on the grill
- Durable, non-cracking; crafted from a blend of lead-free clays
- 20x higher conductivity than ceramic baking stones and twice the heat capacity. This lets it send much more heat energy to your crust so you can get the great performance of a 1000F oven in a home oven at 450F.
- Gorgeous crusts, better blistering, and faster cook times.
- Low-friction surface: textured, sanded smooth, seasoned with flaxseed oil.
- Solid steel, unbreakable, guaranteed for life.
- 16" x 14.25" x .375" - 23lbs (Warning: It's heavy!) Made in USA.
- DELIGHTFULLY CRISPY CRUST: Our pizza stone is 3/4" thick, much thicker than our competitors' stones - engineered to achieve a crispy pizza crust, every single time! This baking stone will satisfy even the pickiest of pizza crust lovers! It is also great for reheating any leftovers, bringing back the food's excellent taste and freshness.
- USE IT ALL THE TIME: It's more than just baking all your favorite pizzas! This durable round stone allows you to try out all your favorite recipes and bake bread, chicken tenders, shrimp, cookies and any other pastry to perfection. Don't miss out on the opportunity to provide the best meals and treats to your family!
- FOR OVEN & BBQ GRILLS: It's now easy to enjoy yummy pizza slices, all year long! You can leave it on the bottom rack of the oven during the cold winter and bring it out on the barbecue grill for the summer. Our pizza stone works great on all popular outdoor grills including charcoal and gas grills.
- WILL NOT CRACK: Made from superior cordierite material, this sturdy stone allows baking up to a whopping 1000 °F. Our grill stone is not brittle and will not easily break! To ensure they get to you in tip top shape, all our pizza stones come in secure, high quality packaging enforced with polyethylene foam.
- FREE GIFT INCLUDED: We take great pride in the quality of our Pizza Stones and offer you a risk-free purchase. To help you enjoy cooking with your new pizza stone, we are offering a FREE E-Book with 45 delicious pizza recipes! (Comes as email attachment once delivered.) Click Buy Now And Get The Best Pizza Stone On Amazon!
But first off, what is a pizza stone?
A pizza stone is an important, yet often overlooked, element in baking pizza. It does not only give a stable cooking surface for the pizza dough; it also assists in cooking the dough evenly so you do get the right consistency for the entire crust.
A pizza stone can be made of any or a combination of the following: ceramic, stone, hard clay, marble, tile, fire brick, and/or steel. Historically it was seen as a poor heat conductor, thus making it difficult to leave to chance the baking of dough.
Back then, it took skill and considerable experience to get the dough right. However, these days, due to advances in technology, the pizza stone has moved from the unglazed, quarried kind, to the more sophisticated kind where heat is evenly distributed in the flattened dough.
Here is a video that highlights the importance of using a pizza stone when baking:
With so many options available online and offline, it can be confusing to choose which one is the best for your needs. Before we give a rundown of our pizza stones review, you should ask yourself the following questions before making a purchase:
What do I want to achieve with my crust?
Pizza stones are differentiated by the material they’re made of. If you are into having crisper crusts, you should get an unglazed baking stone so the moisture is absorbed more effectively. With the stone having good absorption, the dough is not left with excess evaporated water that makes the crust a bit soggy.
However, the drawback with an unglazed stone is it’s difficult to clean. With a glazed pizza stone, you are able to handle baking thick, cheese-filled crusts because the moisture is distributed in the dough. A glazed stone is also way easier to clean.
- Size and Thickness of Pizza
What is the size and thickness of the pizza I want to bake?
Pizza stones come in different sizes and thickness, so make sure you decide on the size (Do you want a standard-sized pizza, or a family-sized one?) and thickness (Do you want thin crusts, or meat-and-cheese-filled ones?). Baking on the wrong stone can lead you vulnerable to breakages and safety risks that anyone wouldn’t want to experience.
- Baking Frequency
How often am I going to bake?
Some stones are built for heavy home use where you can cook as much as you can. The drawback with these kinds of stones is that they are very heavy and take a long time to cook. On the other hand, other stones enable faster cooking and are more lightweight; however, they cannot be used as often as the heavy-duty ones.
So to give you, dear readers, some peace of mind, here is a quick rundown of the best pizza stones for the oven currently offered in the market. We’ve arranged the list to go from the lowest to the highest per piece price:
To decide on the overall winner for the best pizza stone, I used the following parameters:
- 1) Ability to handle different types of crust;
- 2) Ability to handle different types of dough sizes and thickness; and,
- 3) Ability to withstand frequent use and differences in temperature.
Hands down, the winner is:
The 16” Oven Round Pizza Stone by Old Stone Oven®
It’s a fair price to pay for given all the different features it has and can deliver: it can withstand intense heat, can handle different sizes and thickness of crusts, and it’s durable yet not too heavy to use. Now I see why it’s been made by an artisan, and it proves to stand the test of time even after four decades!
Once you’ve decided on which pizza stone to buy, here are some guidelines for you to take so you get to enjoy your pizza stone and be able to keep it for years to come:
- Preheat the stone. It doesn’t matter what type of pizza stone you have. Before doing the big bake, preheat your stone so it gets the temperature transition it needs, which then puts less of a strain on the pizza stone. And also, give 30 minutes to 1 hour to preheat the stone. This gives it the time it needs to evenly distribute the heat on the material.
Preheat your stone before use to avoid cracks and breakages.
- Put the stone in a cold oven when not in use. When the pizza stone stays in a cold oven before use, it gets used to the moisture of the oven. This is important because it lessens the possibility of breakages or thermal shocks that may come with sudden temperature changes the stone has to undergo.
A cold oven should be a pizza stone’s “home” when not in use
- Clean your pizza stone after every use. It can be easy to delay cleaning of pizza stones for some hours—or even a day or two—especially when everyone just wants to take their pick on your fresh bake. However, the reality is that pizza stones absorb heat and moisture effectively, making it easy for the stone to absorb oil and grease that have been left by the pizza ingredients. And this absorption can be quick. It is then advisable for you to immediately clean your stone with lukewarm water and gentle soap after every use.
Use a spatula to clean out food debris after every use
We hope we’ve given you the information you need on the what and why of pizza stones, and enough objective insights on the five best pizza stones for the oven currently available in the market. And we hope, the list does help you in making the right decision in picking the best one for your homemade pizza needs! If you have more questions, feel free to contact us and we’ll definitely try our best to help you out.
- 1 The 5 Best Pizza Stones on the Market 2019
- 2 14.75 Inch Pizza Stone by Good Cook®
- 3 15” Ceramic Pizza Stone by Chef’s Star®
- 4 16” Oven Round Pizza Stone by Old Stone Oven®
- 5 16” High Performance Baking Surface by NerdChef®
- 6 15 Inch ¾” Thick Professional Grade Pizza Stone by Culinary Couture®
- 7 Things to Look for in A Pizza Stone – Best pizza stone Buyer’s Guide
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 Bonus Tip!